Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to the FAQ section for the Ecuador Business Directory. Hopefully you'll find an answer to your question below. If not, please contact us.
- What is the Ecuador Business Directory?
- How does this work? How do I get started?
- Is it really free?
- What's the difference between Free, Advanced and Featured?
- How can I pay?
- Should I sign up if I don’t have a business?
- How much traffic do you get?
- Can I update my listings?
- Can I share my page on social media?
- In what category should I list my business?
- How do I add a YouTube video?
- Is there anything I can't list?
- What if I don't want to advertise my physical location?
- What image size should I upload?
1. What is the Ecuador Business Directory?
It is our goal to create the largest and most useful directory of Ecuador businesses, services and resources in English. To support Ecuador businesses, we offer our Basic Listing for free.
Every listing is valid for 12 months (both free and premium listings). After 12 months, you'll have to renew and update any information.
2. How does this work? How do I get started?
If you're new to the directory, sign up for a free account. Once you open your account, you can list, comment and favorite as often as you want – all for free.
3. Is it really free?
Yes! Accounts are always free to open and you can always list your business or service for free with our Basic Listing.
4. What's the difference between Free, Advanced and Featured?
- – Basic Listing: (Free) Your free listing includes an interactive map (Places only), up to 4 photos, 4 categories, 1 embedded video, links to your site (plus Facebook and Twitter) and a detailed description. Each listing comes with detailed analytics (see how many visitors and from what countries). You'll need to update your post at least once a year to keep your free listing.
- – Advanced Annual Listing: (USD$19.00/year) Everything in the Basic Listing, plus you can include special offers and you can upload 12 photos.
- – Featured Annual Listing: (USD$59.00/year) Everything in the Advanced Listing, plus your listing is featured in a category of your choice. You'll also get to upload up to 24 photos.
To add your listing, click on “Add Listing”
5. How can I pay?
You have two options to pay for your Advanced or Featured listings.
- PayPal: With this popular online payment service, you can either pay with your PayPal balance or your credit card. Here's how to pay via PayPal with your credit card (and no account).
- Stripe: This is super easy to pay with your credit card – no account required. It will work with credit cards from around the world – including Ecuador based cards.
To make your payment, just choose your preferred method when setting up your listing. If you don't already have a PayPal account, you'll probably find Stripe to be the simplest choice.
6. Should I sign up if I don't have a business?
Yes! With an account, you can comment, rate and favorite any (and all) of the businesses you've used. And it's free.
7. How much traffic do you get?
Every month, more than 35,000 people visit our site. See our current traffic numbers here. Because our directory is brand new (launched in September 2016) we don't have statistics yet. Check back for updates.
8. Can I update my listings?
Of course. Both free and premium listings can be updated as often as you wish. It's best to keep your information up-to-date to ensure that potential clients can easily contact you. You can include links to your site, and to your Facebook and Twitter accounts. You can also embed one YouTube video in your profile.
In addition, you can include a significant amount of text in your profile.
9. Can I share my page on social media?
Yes! This is a great way to drive attention to your listing. When you setup your listing, you'll get a unique (and permanent) URL. This can be used as your website if you wish. The url is yours to share. You can include it in your email signature and on Facebook – anywhere your prospects might be.
10. In what category should I list my business?
There are two primary sections: Places and Resources
- Places: This section is for businesses and services. Please remember that this is not a classifieds site. Listings for used goods will be removed.
- Resources: This is for tools and sites that would be useful for tourists and expats. One notable section is the Ecuador Expat Blog category. If you blog about life in Ecuador as an expat, please share it here.
Each site section has their own set of unique categories to organize the listings. Each listing allows from 1 – 6 categories, depending on the type of listing you choose.
Please don't create duplicate listings of the same business. The additional ones will be removed – duplication will make the directory confusing for our community.
11. How do I add a YouTube video?
When adding a YouTube video to a listing, you should use YouTube’s embedding code, for example:
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-8aGCyJVNqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
You can get the embed code by going to the individual video, choosing Share > Embed. Then copy/paste this code into the video section of your listing.
12. Is there anything I can't list?
Good question. Yes – you can list almost anything. There are a few limitations:
- Used goods or real estate: this is a directory, not a classifieds site.
- No politics or religion: While some might argue that these are both businesses, this isn't the place for either.
13. What if I don't want to advertise my physical location?
While our Places section is location-driven, we understand that some businesses operate from home – and don't want drop-ins. We suggest choosing the central park of your nearest town or city. In your description, you can explain how you do business.
In our Resources section, there is no option to add an address. If you would like to include where your resource or blog is located, you can include that in your description.
14. What image size should I upload?
The maximum file size, per photo, is 3MB. While you can upload any file size, the optimum dimension is 800px wide x 600px high.
Have a question that isn't covered here? Please contact us.
Right now, expats are looking for businesses just like yours.
Reach +30,000 Ecuador expats and travelers. Here's how: